PHS will host a financial aid workshop for high school students and parents on October 15th. Below you will find information about the topics to be covered. At the workshop, you will learn more about what opportunities exist for our students. If you have any questions, please contact Katie Young at 601-795-8424.
WHAT: FINANCIAL AID WORKSHOP
WHEN: THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15 AT 5:30 IN THE PHS GYM
TARGET AUDIENCE: Junior & Senior Parents and their students
PURPOSE: This workshop will provide information about sources of financial aid available to pay for college. Parents and students will learn about federal and state financial aid programs and the application processes.
· Definition and understanding of financial need
· Cost of attendance and budgeting college expenses
· Overview of private and institutional scholarships
· Federal financial aid programs, including Pell Grant, Work-study, Direct Loan program
· An overview of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
· An overview of state financial aid programs: MTAG, MESG, HELP
NOTE FROM MRS. YOUNG: While the actual process of applying for financial aid and scholarships primarily takes place senior year, developing an understanding of the process and what students can do from an earlier age helps make this process less stressful. Understanding what colleges and programs are looking for in the application process helps younger students value the importance of getting involved, completing community service and taking on leadership roles. I hope to see you on Thursday, October 15th for this very informative presentation about what our students need to be doing and how we can assist our students seek out financial aid opportunities. The Get2College Center will be here to present the workshop.